Healthy Through the Holidays
The holidays are an exciting time for family, fun, and unfortunately, a lot of food. Sometimes temptation can be so high around the holiday season that the healthy eating habits you have worked so hard to maintain throughout the year can go right out the window.
Why is it important to maintain a healthy weight during the holidays?
Many people think that the holiday season is a pass to let loose and over-consume. Unfortunately, these breaks from your healthy eating routine can not only quickly add on pounds, but can make you feel sluggish, fatigued, or suffer from gastrointestinal problems. A healthy diet helps keep your body functioning in its peak condition, and suddenly changing to a less healthy diet can make your body react poorly. While it can be easy to gain weight quickly, shedding those extra pounds can be harder, and you may end up having to put a significant amount of work into get back on track.
Tips for maintaining healthy eating habits through holiday temptations
So the question is, how can you avoid temptation and keep up with healthy eating habits while still actively celebrating the holidays? Some tips to help get you through the season:
- Watch your portions – One of the most significant problems we face during the holiday season is maintaining portion control. Start by placing smaller portions on your plate so you won’t feel the need to eat more than will fill you up, and when you are full, stop.
- Limit your alcohol intake – Many people imbibe during the holiday season, and there are many traditional holiday drinks you will find at holiday events. Unfortunately, these drinks can be high in calories and do not fill you up as much as food. A cup of eggnog alone averages 350 calories and 20 grams of fat.
- Stay active – Whether it is the cold weather that may be keeping you away from exercise or the stress from the holidays, fitting in physical activity each day can help keep your metabolism up and help your body continue to burn fat.
- Try some healthy holiday options – You can find many recipes that include healthy substitutions or meal options to make sure you are getting a balanced meal with reduced calories. If you have a favorite recipe, try substituting high-fat or high-calorie items with less fattening choices.
- Take the time to enjoy your meal – Holidays can seem rushed, and you may find yourself scarfing down holiday treats. Instead, try eating at a more leisurely pace, such as taking a plate around a party with you and eating slowly. Not only will you get to savor the flavors more, but you will prevent yourself from overeating.
Enjoy the holiday season without having to suffer the regret from overeating or ruining progress you have made from healthy eating. Try the tips above to help maintain your weight while still enjoying and partaking in all the festivities and events the holidays have to offer