IAW Business Forum: 5 Leadership Skills to Take Your Business to the Top
You’re in the lead. You’re a visionary. You’re ready to take your business to the top.
As a business owner, you make things happen. You inspire those around you to give it their all. You’re in charge, and you know being a leader is so much more than simply calling the shots. Understanding how to lead and manage a diverse team of individuals who seamlessly work together toward one common goal is key to driving your business forward.
Here are 5 leadership skills to take your business to the top:
- Celebrate Collaboration – Use the talents of those around you. Welcome input from your staff and encourage them to voice their opinions and share their ideas so that everyone feels they are part of the team.
- Seek Diversity – When hiring employees, look for individuals who have unique skill sets and varied backgrounds, experiences and strengths. A recent report by McKinsey & Company found that, among its other positive impacts, diversity increases employee satisfaction and improves decision making.
- Pursue Professional Development – Keep your skill set at the highest level by continuing to learn. Attend seminars and take classes to stay on top of industry trends and encourage your employees to do the same. Join professional organizations such as IAW where you can tap into your network to learn from other business leaders.
- Set Specific Goals – Having clear goals keeps everyone focused. It helps make sense of company strategies, and serves as an excellent way to measure success. Set new goals to continually challenge your employees and be sure to reward them when objectives are met.
- Lead By Example – Roll up your sleeves and work hard alongside your staff to illustrate your commitment and dedication. Listen to what they have to say; show employees you respect them and they will do the same for you.
We want to hear from you! What skills do you think are important for a business leader? How do you sharpen your leadership skills?