No matter your age, no matter your job, no matter the skills you already have, learning something new or improving on what you already know is always a good thing.
I’ve been writing for more years than I care to admit. I started in print media; now virtually all my writing is online. True, the basics haven’t changed, but as with most industries, today’s technology has transformed this field. I’m constantly learning something new. I love to read other blogs, check out experts as they share best practices on YouTube and TED Talks and join in on conversations and take online webinars via LinkedIn and other professional groups to which I belong.
As an IAW member, you never have to stop learning since you have unlimited access to more than 1,000 on-demand webinars through our partner Star 12. Of course, there’s plenty of other resources out there. We asked the IAW team about their preferences when it comes to the learning tools they turn to…here’s what they had to say:
- “I like TED talks, because the subjects are all over the place. I like HerIzons because it focuses on challenges that most women face. I like Star 12 for its webinars on honing skills; they remind you of some fundamental things you might be forgetting after being in a position for several years, as well as important updates on improvements and changes in existing technology and regulations.”
– Barbara, Assistant Director, Member Services
- “In the world of digital marketing, things are constantly changing so I’ve found a few resources that help me stay on track with technology updates and best practices. My go-to resources:
- Hubspot — for all things inbound marketing. Even if you aren’t a Hubspot customer they have tons of free resources to help guide you;
- Podcasts — My favorites at the moment: Online Marketing Made Easy with Amy Porterfield; and
- LinkedIn Learning — free learning modules.
I also participate in a number of groups on Facebook and LinkedIn — people tend to share resources, ask questions and offer advice.”
– Megan, Senior Marketing Business Partner
- “I still go to Star12 when looking for specific webinars or seminars that our departments can take advantage of. I utilize LinkedIn and various social media platforms for learning capabilities. I follow many successful women and men through these channels.”
– Talia, Vice President of Operations
- “I often access LinkedIn Learning. I also enjoy listening to podcasts, YouTube videos and reading blog content. Some people and websites I particularly enjoy following are:
- Marie Forleo, Oprah calls her a though leader for the next generation;
- Ashley Stahl, a Career Coach;
- Ahyiana Angel, hosts the podcast, ‘Switch, Pivot or Quit’; and
- Career Contessa for great blog content.
I try to squeeze in information whenever I can. While pursuing my degree and at times when I had a long commute, I enjoyed downloading audio books and streaming lectures to listen to during the car ride. I found that it really helped to reinforce concepts I was learning or was interested in learning.”
– Robyn, Program & Engagement Manager
We’d love to hear what learning resources you use to stay current and competitive. Let us know in the comment section. And if you’re not yet an IAW member, come join us and see what we have to offer.